Thursday, March 11, 2010

OKCMAR Spring Conference 2010 - Your Thoughts?

This post comes from me as a Realtor and a member of OKCMAR, not as a Director or committee member.

I spent the past 2 days at the Spring Conference, learning from those who know, those who lead, those who volunteer, and those who have a passion for our industry, like I do, and I have to say that I was THOROUGHLY impressed.

The OKCMAR staff clearly worked their tails off to put together what I believe to be the best association event we've ever had (at least from my experience), and they deserve to be recognized and thanked for what they do for us.

The funny thing about what I just said above is that it will be recognized and agreed with by a certain percentage of our membership and dismissed by another group of members. The difference in those two groups will simply be those who do and those who don't. Those who do (have a passion for our industry and bettering themselves) are involved and close enough to the association to see the strides that have been made over the past few years (even over the past few months), and those who don't simply weren't around this week. They'll be the ones complaining about the dues they pay and how they get nothing back for what they spend, yet they made no effort to participate.

Those who do, see the value in what just happened and understand that there are things going on in our industry that we must all adapt to, and those who don't, simply don't.

So, the question is, do you or don't you? Will you or won't you still be in this business 5 years from now, or even 2 years from now? Our association is working feverishly to not only bring us up to speed with larger associations around the country, but to actually surpass them. They are PASSIONATE about what they do and they're bringing more value to what they provide our membership every single day.

We also owe a BIG thanks to those who made it possible for this amazing event to be offered to our members FOR FREE. But whether it's free or costs $500, it would be wise and worthwhile for EVERY member who wants to grow in their profession to be there next year!

THANK YOU OKCMAR!

Now please tell me what you thought of the conference.. was it worthwhile/valuable to you?

9 comments:

Dawn Kennedy said...

Thank you Ryan for your kind words- I believe we really do have momentum going and that so many of the initiatives of the board are coming to fruition.

For me the realization that most of the association's communication to the membership is coming from our view as staff was an epiphany. I am not sure quite how I will change this but I know that I must. This is what made the conference a highlight for me.

Dave Moeller said...

Very good post Ryan that cuts to the chase. The tools and the assistance are available. We all have to realize that we cannot live in the past, but that our efforts in the present is what determines the future.

Thanks for helping to get the word out with your perspective.

Joe Pryor said...

It was an honor being a part of this first event. I would like to add that in my marketing class yesterday I noticed that over half the people were Boomers. What exites me is not the Gen Y's who grew up with hitech and have a jaded attitude of oh well, but the older Realtors who are a big part of our Association and are eager to learn new skills. Makes me think that our clients are in good hands.

Bill Wilson said...

Ryan, I too was really blown away by the quality of the content presented and the exceptional facility it was offered in. Those who missed it, missed a lot. I personally gained much from the 2 days and will certainly be back when another is offered. Thanks for all the hard work everyone put into it.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful posting, Ryan. Thank you so much. I am very proud of you and see a great future for you in this industry and in the Association Leadship!

lornak said...

Lorna Koeninger said...
Great job Dawn (CEO), OKCMAR Staff, and Exhibitors. Such enthusiam and knowledge was exhibited by all in the last 2 days at the OKCMAR Spring Conference. Makes you proud to be a member of the Association! Looking forward to using this knowledge in 2010!

Rob Odishoo said...

Ryan - It was nice to meet you. Sorry it was so brief! I could not agree more. In my position, I deal with numerous MLS boards around the country. OKCMAR has its act together!

Your technology platform is second to none! With Chris and Dawn's leadership and vision, your MLS has a wealth of tools for Agents and Broker/Owners. I would venture to say you offer more than any other MLS platform I have seen so far.

But as Gee Dunsten said "A tool is no good unless you use it!"

I wish I had more time to meet and mingle. But for the little time that I was able to talk to people and sit in a few classes, I was impressed.

Dawn - Thank you for inviting me and my company (AnnounceMyMove / AnnounceMyListing) into your group! We look forward to working with all of you!

For more info on AnnounceMyListing's launch on OKCMAR visit the OKCMAR info page at: www.announcemymove.com/OKCMAR

Steve Reese said...

Yes, worthwhile! Yes, valuable!

I know this was a big undertaking, and I applaud Kelli McNeal and all the staff members for a smooth running show.

I loved that many of the sessions were shorter so we could take in more topics. It's refreshing to see that you can attract people with quality content without being a slave to continuing education credit.

Coming from Shawnee, my experience was especially rich making some cool new contacts and networking outside my immediate market area. You choice of national trainers were a good fit too.

It would seem the decision is clearer about having more conferences like this. And I can't wait. You could call that momentum!

Unknown said...

Ryan, you are the future of OKCMAR whether you realize it yet or not. I was impressed by your professionalism and contributions to the association. OKCMAR needs more like you who are willing to give back and not expect anything in return. I wish you the best with your Gen Next group, your leadership, and your real estate business.
Your friend,
Doug Devitre