Thursday, November 12, 2009

He has a right to criticize, who has a heart to help.

There's never a shortage of people to complain about a government, an association, an economy, or the way things are managed, but a couple of things there's always a shortage of are help and direction.
He has a right to criticize, who has a heart to help. --Abraham Lincoln
People often ask why I take the time to get involved at our local association and, quite frankly, it's difficult for me to explain. I do it because I was asked to help, but more importantly, I do it because I have a sincere love for this business and a deep belief that we all have a better chance at success when we work together.

If you have complaints about the way things are done or don't understand where your dues are going, I'd have to ask you:
  • What committee are you serving on?
  • What are you doing to impose change?
If your answer is 'nothing,' or worse, just more complaining, then I'd encourage you to take the leap. The association currently has openings on the following committees:
  • Brokers Quarterly
  • Bylaws
  • Contracts & Forms
  • Education
  • Green Resource Panel
  • Grievance
  • Membership
  • Professional Standards
  • RPAC - Legislative
  • RPIC - Legislative
Stop thinking about it and just do it. You might be amazed at what you learn and what you can contribute; I know I was.

Deadline for committee signup is November 15th, so GO SIGN UP NOW!

4 comments:

One Woman said...

Okay now you are trying to show me up! This was a great post Dave. I am looking forward to your leadership in 2010!

Ryan Hukill said...

Ha! I don't think Dawn's used to having more people than her and Dave posting here yet :)

One Woman said...

True but I hope that changes and this becomes a viable communication vehicle for board and staff :)

Ryan Hukill said...

In time, I'm sure it will, Dawn