Monday, April 19, 2010

Greetings from Your Own Traveling Gnome!



I realize that I am not a gnome BUT I am short and pudgy and I do have a little bit of a pointy forehead so I thought the title of this post was appropriate. Here I am in the beautiful city of Quebec for the 2010 Association Executive's Institute (AEI). Being in real estate. I am literally blown away by the architecture. Married to a chef, I am enjoying the wonderful french food. Breakfast here is a little rough (they like strange things) so I have pretty much been substituting the meal with coffee only but the rest is absolutely wonderful.

Aside from soaking up the charm I have been soaking up knowledge! I have focused my time on the Quality of Life Track. I believed this was very appropriate as for three years in each OKCMAR strategic plan, the quality of life as a member and in OKC has been a primary driver. It is my goal and philosophy to ensure that each and every REALTOR receives absolute value from their $125 annual OKCMAR dues. Although, together, we have accomplished much in terms of various quality of life programs (Supporting MAPS, bringing in the Thunder, supporting the city in its purchase of the Tinker plant, building an entire Habitat House, participating in green drives and Susan Kohmen race, starting a green resource council, establishing a charitable giving program supporting 5 different charities that contribute, and a scholarship fund) I often feel that these acts do not have the impact in increasing the value of a REALTOR as they should. Like paint splotches all over a canvas but not a cohesive work of art. After attending multiple sessions this week I believe I have the tools to come back to OKCMAR and assist the various committees into creating a relevant piece of community art.

Speaking of relevance.... I attended a session called Remaining Relevant. Imagine my surprise and pride when in a room of 200+ association executives OKCMAR was featured NOT ONCE BUT TWICE as an example of remaining relevant. First our postcard responding to our very first survey was cited as an example of communicating that the membership needs were heard and addressed and at the end of the session 5 associations were cited as case studies in courage. The speaker talked about how remaining relevant requires that association leadership look forward to anticipate what the member needs before they need it and having the courage to implement programs that the membership will need to succeed. We were the last example and the home page of the ARCS' CIE website with our beautiful OKC skyline filled the screen, cited as an example of courage and vision! I was so proud of OKCMAR and its RCA at that moment! Great work OKCMAR!

No comments: