Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Why should I be a member of OKCMAR- What do I get out of this membership?

CEO Viewpoint:

If you ask this question in a room full of association executives (and believe me I have asked it alot since I started this career path) the overwhelming response is.... PROFESSIONAL STANDARDS.

Because associations police themselves we are not burdened with a lot of legislation and government regulatory control - although real estate agents are regulated by state licensing bureaus such as OREC here in Oklahoma. A huge benefit is because we have a process in place for members of the public to lodge complaints REALTORS often stay out of court. The association also handles arbitration complaints- these monetary disputes between brokers are resolved without having to hire an attorney or use the court system.

The local, state and national associations constantly outreach to the public indicating REALTORS operate by a higher standard- the REALTOR Code of Ethics. This is a benefit to each member.

However, while I agree that Professional Standards is very important I think where members are impacted the most is through our communication/information. I look at us as an information provider. Remember we cannot offer legal advice- this is not the information I am writing about. I am referring to the information about the market and technology. Statistics and help with all the tools out there. Did you know we have several social marketing How To Videos on our website. http://www.okcrealtors.com/FeaturedInformation/FeaturedInformationDetail.aspx?FIID=NjI%3d-JZAiWKcZ5vM%3d

I personally believe that one of our greatest benefits is all the FREE education we provide, CE, tech institutes, social marketing courses, post-licensing courses, marketing courses taught by national speakers. I urge all to check out other associations and look for free education- this typically isn't a free benefit.

I also believe that legislative advocacy and awareness is a huge member benefit. The association works to not only change laws or keep good ones but also keeps you aware of legislative changes that affect your business.

No comments: