Monday, October 12, 2009

Back to the Real World

I, too, participated in the OKCMAR strategic planning retreat and echo our President-Elect's sentiments. I was in some ways suprised at a few of the outcomes, but nonetheless incredibly proud of this group. As I left for the weekend in a state of euphoria about all the amazing things we will accomplish, my mind could not help but think of the real world in which we live and how much work it will take to accomplish what was set before us.

So as I sit in my office on this gloomy Monday I say to myself, "Wow, where will you start?" I was given qreat book, Now, Discover Your Strengths! written by Buckingham and Clifton in which I learned my primary trait was that of achiever. I encourage all broker-managers to read the book if they can- This is a link to the book summary. The book pokes gentle fun of people like me. Achievers live their life through a self-imposed point system. For example, I give myself a point for sending my daughter off to school with a hot breakfast, another point for being on time, points for finishing projects and bonus points if one of the members writes me to say we are doing a good job. I live my life to rack up as many points as I can in a day. Pathetic, I know, but it gives me so much pleasure! I also deduct points for things undone.

It is this very point system that leaves me a little ovewhelmed by the 2010 strategic plan but then I remember that I am not in this alone. I have a huge membership, a strong board and a great staff to help me! This year I will be making weekly brokerage visits to discuss the plan once it has been officially approved at this month's board meeting. If you are interested in an office visit or would just like to meet with me to review the plan I would greatly look forward to the opportunity. Please email me at dkennedy@okcmar.org to arrange a time.

Remember- You get the most out of your membership and dues investment if you are involved in the association's mission. Are you a member or are you just paying dues? That is a question only each of us can answer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your blog! I find it exciting to hear what your association is doing. Plus you give us some great ideas.