Thursday, September 3, 2009

To Blog or Not To Blog; That is the Question

CEO Viewpoint:



I received a very interesting comment regarding the benefits of blogging. A blog is meant to start a dialogue but also to serve as an information source. I look at this blog as just one more communication channel. I particularly like blogging because it allows me to expand on messages OKCMAR sends through other channels. I also think it is somewhat like FDR's fireside chats. I hope that through blogging members will get to know OKCMAR, myself, the President & the President-Elect a little better and in turn assist them in feeling connected to the association.



The one comment I received was that to date there have only been 12 comments posted on the blogs (MLS has a tech blog) and was this a good return on investment. Well, the blogs started in earnest about two weeks ago and just as we wouldn't expect a new REALTOR to have a fully developed book of business in two weeks, we shouldn't expect a large readership in two weeks. Ideally I hope this blog will reach about 20% of our membership- realizing it is just another communication channel - one of many.



The second question regarding time spent versus return. Actually I spend very little time producing the blogs and tend to blog on my mythical "off time". However I thought about how much staff and committee time is spent putting together one event. I would like to measure that time against attendance and then measure the time I spend on this versus comments. I will keep you posted as to how this pans out! It will be interesting to see and I sincerely thank the member who took the time to respond to my Warm Bodies post for giving me this very valuable measuring tool.

The same reader also suggested that online presence should not be weighted as heavily as physical presence. So perhaps we measure the online participation as 50%?

HAVE A GREAT DAY READERS!

4 comments:

Sarah Del Valle said...

I'm reading your blog! I think that anything you can do as my association to bring value to me as a Realtor is worth your time. I value your thoughts as our CEO and the thoughts of everyone else involved with OKCMAR because your decisions directly effect how we as realtors do business with each other. Sometimes a blog is the perfect venue for starting thought provoking conversations that the membership can participate in on their own schedules. Even if someone doesn't comment, it doesn't necessarily mean that your blog isn't being read or that the message wasn't effective. Thank you for being innovative and trying something different!

One Woman said...

Thank you so much for your thoughts Sarah! I like the blogs for the same reason you cited- members can get at the messages when they have time at their schedule and not mine or that of the marketing/communications department. I like how it categorizes prior posts so if you need to reveiw a posting again finding it is easy!! I spend so much time looking through old emails trying to find one I either sent or saved for the information in it. Thank you again for your comments and readership!

Joe Pryor said...

Dawn, I think it set a great example to the membership about the value of blogging. Effectiveness of blogs can't be measured in a few weeks, nor is it solely judged on comments. Comments are for someone that wants to add to the dialogue. I look at the amount of people viewing as as a Realtor I look at the indexing on Google and other search engines. At the very least your blog will bring attention to the public by being indexed, so keep on blogging, it is good for all of us.

One Woman said...

Thanks Joe- I find I really enjoy it! I have to restrain myself from writing volumes! You know me, I LOVE and audience (real or perceived- LOL). At least I can say that I am doing everything possible to inform members- most of what I hear regularly was "I didn't know" "The board did not tell me" and the big one "Nobody asked us"! The board asks all the time through surveys and comment cards and responds to what we hear back- if members are dissatisfied or feel their opinions were not solicited then we aren't doing our part in getting the word out. Since this isn't a survey vehicle I hope to garner diverse member input.