Saturday, May 22, 2010

Reason #7 to Love Oklahoma City

Everything is laid out on a grid. It is very difficult to stay lost in Oklahoma City as all the streets are laid out in a giant grid, like a checkerboard with two diagonal streets that criss-cross the grid. While in Washington, DC last week, I walked to the subway station every day to get to the main hotels where the convention was held. I was doing great until the Supra welcome event. I walked to the subway station and got off at the right stop, what I did wrong was I exited at the wrong end of the subway. I didn't realize there were two exits. An hour and a half later, after walking in circles, I gave up and called my daughter in OKC to help me navigate back to my hotel. After another 20 or so many minutes I was finally where I needed to be. I have GPS on my phone but it would not work. Part of the problem is that DC isn't laid out on a grid- there are many one way streets and a large circle (similar to Madison where I have also been lost) that dominates the area and where many streets dead end.

The experience confirmed how grateful I am to live in the wonderful city of OKC!

No comments: